Wednesday, October 17, 2012

It's been a while......rambling of a scattered mind, chickens aquaponics and other things

Sorry it's been so long since I posted on here! I won't get into everything that has happened, as I am sure Kate has kept everyone up to date.

October is here and zooming along. The onions and garlic need planting. The beds need mulching. the firewood needs to finish being split..... so much to do and so little time!

Anyways, I ramble.... the plan for this weekend is to get enough of the maple rounds split and stacked that I can build a second compost bin so that I can turn my compost over. I also need to get the onions and garlic planted. We had planned on doing a bigger winter veggie garden, but time seems to have gotten away from us.

We were thinking of sneaking in some backyard chickens, but seeing as they are against our current bylaws, I think we will wait until the ruling as to whether or not keeping chickens is a charter right. In the meantime I have been reading into building a green house in the spot we were thinking of putting the chicken coop.

Now here is where the ADHD works at its finest..... you start with chickens, and end up with trout. Let me explain. First off I was looking into chicken coop plans. From there I came to the conclusion that I didn't want to go to the effort of making the chicken coop only to be fined or told to remove the chickens. From there it was a logical step (in my mind) to fill that unused space (have to remember to measure it) with a green house, because then it could get use all year round. From there it was only a hop, skip, and a leap to decide that said green house should be used to house an aquaponics system. Voila! You get trout from chickens.

Image from http://theaquaponicsource.com/what-is-aquaponics/
I am having trouble finding any information on people or systems that have been set up in my area, so I plan on gathering all the information I can and posting it on the blog. Hopefully I can convince the wife that this will be a good idea and use of space. I think the idea of a lemon tree growing in the greenhouse MIGHT have some effect.

cheers for now.

nick












2 comments:

  1. Your ADD mind is sometimes sexy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://mowrystrings.com/greenhouse.html

    The address of the green house plans I've approved! Time will tell if we have enough carpentry skills to pull it off!

    ReplyDelete