Sunday, April 15, 2012

Eye goggles, a laundry dresser and a Froggy Orchestra

What a whirlwind two weeks in our new place!!! Been quite an adventure!

Hoping to start really finding our new routine and getting into the groove of our new life style!

We've enjoyed emmensely attending the local Farmer's Market which has just moved to the summer time out door location. It's been a great treat for our daughter Ruby and I because we suffer from Celiac Disease, (an allergy to wheat/gluten) which severely limits our ability to eat outside of our own kitchen. But at this Farmer's Market there are several vendors whom make DELICIOUS gluten free (and dairy free) sweet treats.

Easter weekend as Nick mentioned before, we had my own family (parents, siblings and nieces/nephews) up for a visit. This past weekend we've enjoyed a visit from my best friend Ruth, her hubby Brian, their three small children and their new puppy Hugo. It was a lot of fun and we can't wait to do it again!

Thursday we found Gypsy our three year old dog, on the 'other' side of the fence for the umpteenth time. So Nick promptly ran out to the hardware store to purchase materials to make the fence 'Gypsy proof.' What an ordeal the shopping trip was!! He was gone for near THREE hours for an arm load of material, but each store had only ONE of the items he needed, he'd run back and forth across town... we probably wasted more gas than the cost of materials!

But he fixed the fence with 6 inch 'pencil' posts and some thicker gauged fencing wire, which he doubled height wise so Gypsy cannot just jump the fence - the deer still can but that's another post :D

I was outside with the kids on the lawn enjoying their laughter and sunshine while Nick stapled the wire to the posts. Out of the corner of my eye I watched as the staple didn't take and the sharp wire snapped back towards Nick's face. He fell backwards out of a squatting position with a startled look on his face, and the blood began to flow beneath his right eye. Both of us were slightly panicked! But he was okay, a good gash to the side of his nose underneath his eye. I had to chastise him for not wearing safety goggles, which he didnt' think were necessary for such a mundane task. I think he's learned his lesson because he wore them while making my 'laundry dresser,' with Brian later in the weekend. (I'll post pics perhaps tomorrow if  I can remember!)

I have to say that I've been truly surprised at the significant decrease in garbage since starting and using the compost. We've also really stepped up our recycling efforts. I know the environment will thank me but my dining room fills up a little too quickly for my liking. Going to have to get into the habit of removing the recycle bin to the garage nightly.

Which segways me into my wonderful, harmonious,  evening 'Froggy Orchestra...'

When I was growing up (and actually still to this day because my folks still live in the house...) from now until late September when I'd lie down to bed it was impossible not to be serenaded to sleep by the thousands and I MEAN thousands of little frogs that lived in the 20 acre park below the house. It is a magical sound, and on hot nights with the windows open sometimes the music was more deafening than one would think. But it truly was a great memory...

I have happily discovered that while my mother lays down every night to a Froggy Rock Concert of thousands I get to lay down to a Froggy Orchestra of probably a dozen or so frogs!! My magic is BACK! The sound is unmistakable, and the serenade hipnotic. Just one more reason I am SO very happy to be in the Valley and in this house!

Until next time!


1 comment: